๐บ Genny in the City: GUAM ๐บ

Genny in the City: Guam
“Guam? Wasn’t she just in ATL?”
The answer is yes! But what’s the point in being young, hot, with no kids if you can’t just decide at the drop of a dime that you want to spend 3 months on a glorious clear-water island dancing & sun bathing with a mango in one hand and green juice in the other?
Exactly. Join me every Monday for Genny in the City: Guam!
City of the Peaches…
The love I have for Atlanta is inexplicable. It’s the city that birthed a new me, or rather showed me the woman I always was but kept hidden. Atlanta forced me out of my shell! From a small town in Columbia, MD to such a big, thriving city at just 18, I was bright-eyed and ready to take over the world.
For a while, my dream was hair. But, there comes a time in your life when you have to make a decision: is the dream you once had actually your life’s dream? Would I really be happy with the career path I chose & all the limitations that come with it?
Truthfully, hair will always be my first love. Through hair, I traveled, met incredible people, built clientele, made money and learned discipline. But eventually I had to ask myself something uncomfortable: Was I still chasing my real dream… or just the version of success that felt safest?
I needed to be honest with myself and honor my desire to pivot. For a long time, I connected my identity to my profession. I’m “Genny that does hair.” At one point, that was my measurement of how far I was deviating from my path and would easily reel myself back in to accomplish the goal.
But what if that was actually me doing what was familiar? Staying in my very own gold-painted cage. Hair had become that 9-5 culture I had always been afraid of. Three months into ATL, I found myself sinking into those same destructive behaviors that follow feelings of depression + unalignment with my purpose.
So being the adventurous Sagittarius that I am, I decided to take a chance on the opportunity I had in 2023 to dance at a club on Guam. This will give me a chance to reflect for 3 months by the water while saving & living my best life — no hustle and bustle.
Where Even Is Guam?
For the next three months, my life will exist somewhere between neon club lights and saltwater mornings.
I know some of you may be wondering what I’m even talking about lol. Guam is a U.S. territory in the Western Pacific located near East Asia. It’s a port for the U.S. military. There’s a strip club on the island that I’ll be working at, so as far as customers think of boats of men that have been at work for months ready to port and spend $$$.
The island has a mix of Chamorro culture, military influence, & tourism from places like Japan & South Korea. It is surrounded by turquoise water, tropical weather, and world-renowned scuba diving! Plus Tokyo is only a 2-hour flight from Guam, so I will definitely be making my way there at the end of my contract!
Why I’m Going
Every dollar I save in Guam is funding the next version of my life! Before I moved to Atlanta, I wanted to move to NYC. Expand Icy Mansion while also indulging in the fashion and art culture. NYC honestly fully fits my personality! At the time, it just felt like too big of a dream to me, so I chose the familiar option instead.
This time I’m using my relativity to the water to soul-search and decide which fig of the fig tree I will choose. Water has always brought me clarity and healing. Whether it be a pond or a creek, I find myself always trying to find a water source to think and heal.
I also had an opportunity to go before, but instead I found myself in an extremely tumultuous relationship. This is my second chance to experience something for me rather than letting other people convince me out of things I truly want to do.
I needed to check this off the bucket list. But also… I need new boobs ofc! That’s going to be my gift to myself, a symbol of dedication to myself and my happiness. 360ccs will definitely always remind me to go for whatever it is I want :)

Island Girl Living
This trip will be heavily focused on self-care. I’m talking daily yoga, weekly massages, hydration, beach walks, skincare (Korean), and fresh fruit juices.
I want my mornings to smell like coconut, mango, and fresh fruit juice. Since I will be dancing at least 5x a week, I need to really keep up with my recovery routines. This will help me be prepared for NYC living! I want longevity in this industry, so I must take care of my body.
But I also want to have a lot of fun on the island. I always say I want to retire in Costa Rica and here is my little taste of that.
Guam Doll Checklist
๐บ Swim with tropical fish
๐บ Collect shells
๐บ Jet ski
๐บ See coral reefs
๐บ See dolphins
๐บ Fill my travel notebook
๐บ Guam aquarium
๐บ Learn native recipes
๐บ Surf
๐บ Explore Chamorro culture
๐บ Paint by the water
๐บ 2 Lovers Point
Dear Guam
I know Guam will bring me the clarity and peace I have been praying for. I’m thanking Guam in advance for all the things it will teach me & for being a place of paradise for me in a time where I’m figuring it all out.
I am so excited for all Guam has to bring! From city burnout to island air… this is chapter one.
Join me every Monday for more.
xoxo,
Genny in the City ๐บ

Comments
Post a Comment